Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Passover!

We were actually proactive about passover this year! I have to admit that I am often exhausted even thinking about a holiday that lasts a whole week! Those really don't exist in Christianity, so I am sometimes daunted by the thought of 7 full days, but this year was great. We planned 2 seders to have at our home, two of which we invited guests to and they were great, though I don't think I could do more than two! The second was on Sunday and we invited two families with two kids each that are similar in age to Emma and Siri. We were scheduled to start at 4 so that dinner (3/4 of the way through a typical seder) would land at an appropriate time for the kids, and I put together my own Haggadah (seder booklet) designed for kids. It had black and white pictures for coloring and included all the main point of a seder. My purpose was to expose young kids to the elements of a typical seder without all the talking and explaining of everything. When they are older they will start to ask about that stuff, but in the meantime they should know what to expect at passover. Anyway, it went great. We sang the passover songs, drank our cups 4 times, the kids each decorated their own "Elijah's cup," and they searched for the afikomen...then we ate dessert and put on a Little Einsteins video! That day was definitely the highlight for me this passover...fun with friends and teaching the kids about their faith!

No comments:

Post a Comment