Monday, August 10, 2009

Girls Evening Out

Tonight I went out with just Emma. I was planning to go to the library by myself, but at the last minute Matt and I decided to divide the kids up. I do want to try to do something separately with each kid each week; we'll see how it goes, but its a good goal. I know that everyone with multiple children can attest to the fact that any time that one parent has less than the total amount of kids makes for a much easier outing.
I knew that Emma would be great at the library by herself because she is mostly good at following instructions at her age, and she loves reading books. When we first climbed into the car she said to me, "Siri is a freak, right?" This was so funny, and I didn't realize until later that she meant to say that Siri was freaking out. (Siri did start crying when Matt first left the apartment wi
th her.) We started out in the kids' section. She found a couple books and immediately sat down to read them. I then went through a cou
ple of isles picking out books that fit my criteria: they must have good illustrations and they cannot be too long; if there is too much to read on each page Emma gets bored. We collected a large stack and headed up the elevator to get "mom's books." Emma again sat very well and read more of her books while I scoured the shelves. She also moved with me about 4 times as I went up and down the isles. We finally left the library with about 20 books. I seriously could barely carry them out!
I promised Emma a treat if she followed directions in the library, so we then headed over
to Starbucks. She picked out her chocolate chip cookie and declined the offer to have it warmed up, and as we waited for my drink she looked at
my bisco
tti, "Is that yo
ur treat, mom?" she said.
I realized, as we were sitting there, that my kids will have grown up with Starbucks their whole lives. I did was not introduced to the coffee-shop
world until college. Before that we had to go to Perkins!
My last fav quote from Emma for the evening was when she was looking through the pictures
on my phone on the way home. She saw the pictures that have posted here and said, "I have a
cookie face, mom!"

No comments:

Post a Comment